The first part of Pam I decided to insulate was the floor and the wheel arches.
The Kangoo (like most vans) has ridges on the floor which can make it fiddly to insulate.
After nights and days spent on forums to gather as much advice as I could, this is what I have come up to:
2. Cut and stick a layer of double sided bubble foil wrap.
- Cut some batons to apply to the floor. Those will even out the surface of the floor and give you a structure where you can fix your flooring plywood. Most people place them perpendicular to the ridges, but I placed them parallel as this made me save a couple of centimetres in hight.
2. Stick the batons to the van floor using SikaFlex or similar.
3. Cut and stick the foam underlay to the flooring, filling in the gaps between the ridges.
4. Lay a layer of foil bubble wrap on top of the foam underlay.
5. Measure and cut the 12mm Plywood board and nail it in place by using the already placed batons. As you can see from the pictures I got the measurements wrong a recurring theme in this blog) and cut the board more than needed. That was easily fixed by cutting another strip of plywood to place on the side. You live and you learn! 🙂
Aaaand you are done. You now have a nice smooth floor ready to be walked (or crawled in the Kangoo’s case) on!
-A ridiculous amount of coffee has been sacrificed to write this blog post so if you are feeling particularly generous, you can buy me one HERE .
You can also support Pamthevan’s adventures by visiting my Etsy shop HERE –